lesbenforen.de

Willkommen, Gast ( Anmelden | Registrierung )

> Bitte beachten

Du kannst deinen Beitrag nach dem Posten 90 Minuten lang editieren, danach nicht mehr. Lies dir also vor dem Posten sorgfältig durch, was du geschrieben hast. Dazu kannst du die "Vorschau" nutzen.

Wenn dir nach Ablauf der Editierzeit noch gravierende inhaltliche Fehler auffallen, schreib entweder einen neuen Beitrag mit Hinweis auf den alten oder wende dich an die Strösen.

Diese Webseite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Webseite erklärst du dich mit der Verwendung von Cookies einverstanden.

39 Seiten V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What about English?
noname45
Beitrag 25.Oct.2006 - 16:22
Beitrag #101

Musegeküsste Knuddelkoboldin

Gruppe: Members
Userin seit: 01.03.2005
Userinnen-Nr.: 1.290

Hi Schneeland and everybody!

There are a lot of English books and I can recommend - as some of you know, I prefer to watch / read the original rather than wonder what has been "lost in translation".

At the moment I am reading "Needful Things" by Stephen King.
I think it is a very good book and it gives me a hard time putting it away, 'though I don't have a lot of time to read at the moment as I am learning for my final exams next year.

I need to go now, because I have a "Kant-Seminar" to attend - but I'd really enjoy to read some English posts when I come back.

Have a nice day everyone!

Pumuckl
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
revelo
Beitrag 25.Oct.2006 - 16:31
Beitrag #102

No Title

Userin seit: 24.08.2004
Userinnen-Nr.: 30

What the heck's a Z-course? :unsure:

Regarding good books - Nick Hornby's always a good choice. Entertaining, well written and the vocabulary's quite simple.

+Quote Post
Simonetta
Beitrag 25.Oct.2006 - 17:33
Beitrag #103

Gut durch

Userin seit: 09.12.2005
Userinnen-Nr.: 2.367

QUOTE (schneeland @ 25.Oct.2006 - 13:39)
Does anyone have a book she could recommend to me, preferably in English?

There are loads of cool books out there... :rolleyes: What kind of books are you looking for?

Some of my all-time favourites are:

"Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer (check out the related thread on the literature board! :roetel: )
"The History of Love" by Nicole Krauss
"Ten Little Indians" by Sherman Alexie

I've just finished "Brooklyn Follies" by Paul Auster which is quite a charming book with even a little lesbian surprise on the last pages :rolleyes:

And if you want to read a really good lesbian novel, check out "Stir-Fry" by Emma Donoghue (which I'm just re-reading for the third time!!).

Hm, and there's another lovely novel that I can recommend - it's easy to read and although about serious things, quite funny and entertaining: "The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time" by Mark Haddon.

That's my current "best of" selection... :D

Enjoy!

+Quote Post
Pippilotta
Beitrag 25.Oct.2006 - 18:25
Beitrag #104

*kunterbunt*

Userin seit: 10.09.2004
Userinnen-Nr.: 304

QUOTE (Simonetta @ 25.Oct.2006 - 18:33)
And if you want to read a really good lesbian novel, check out "Stir-Fry" by Emma Donoghue (which I'm just re-reading for the third time!!).

Hm, and there's another lovely novel that I can recommend - it's easy to read and although about serious things, quite funny and entertaining: "The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time" by Mark Haddon.

Cool - book recommendations :rolleyes: :)

So... Simonetta... what's Stir-Fry about? Maybe you can give an itsy-bitsy summary? Would be nice :)

And the book by M. Haddon... isn't that the one who is autistic and writes about the neighborhood dog?? (I think I had a look at it a couple of weeks ago and found it kind of interesting)

+Quote Post
regenbogen
Beitrag 25.Oct.2006 - 18:57
Beitrag #105

a.D.

Userinnen-Nr.: 5

... which I've still got on my bookshelf to look forward to! :bounce:

If it's anywhere near as good as "Slammerkin" and, in particular, "Life Mask", it'll be wonderful... I really loved those books. "Life Mask" took a bit of getting into (if you're used to reading historical novels, you may find it easier to find your way around all those names), but once I was hooked I couldn't put it down - and didn't want it to end at the same time. Has anyone of you read either of those two books?

(IMG:http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/1844081753.03.MZZZZZZZ.jpg) <--- klick - Life Mask

(IMG:http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/186049899X.03.MZZZZZZZ.jpg) <--- klick - Slammerkin

And, of course,
Stir-Fry (out of print, but available through Amazon Marketplace)

Der Beitrag wurde von regenbogen bearbeitet: 25.Oct.2006 - 18:58

+Quote Post
schneeland
Beitrag 25.Oct.2006 - 21:26
Beitrag #106

Gut durch

Userin seit: 25.01.2006
Userinnen-Nr.: 2.530

Hey everyone!

Wow, how wonderful! Thanks a bunch for all the recommendations!

I have read "The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time" by Mark Haddon, even though I have to admit I read it in german. But it was still great ;)

Nick Hornby I also like. So far I have only read "How to be good" which I highly enjoyed! I think he is a great writer. So maybe I should check out some of his other books, too?!

I checked out the abstract on "stir fry" (thanks for the link Regenbogen!) and that sounds interesting, too. Well and when I hear that you have read it a couple of times already Simonetta, I take that as a very positive reference, so that will defenitly be on the list.

"Extremly loud and incredible close" has been on the list for a while. So I'll keep that in mind too. How did you like his writing, Simonetta?

@Pumuckl: So how was the seminar? Sounds like a though one?! What is your major?

Thanks again for all the great ideas!

Have a good night everyone! :blumen2:

+Quote Post
schneeland
Beitrag 26.Oct.2006 - 08:54
Beitrag #107

Gut durch

Good morning everyone!

Something else that came to mind this morning and that I was wondering about. Hope it fits in this thread, if not just ignore it.

What is home for you? Is it a place, or a feeling, or a person or something completly different?

This question came to mind, because it's such a beautiful day out today. It's fall and a bit cold and the sun is shining. All this reminds me of a beautiful place in Canada that I become "homesick" for almost every winter. I guess it's linked to a bunch of wonderful friends and memories, but it always makes me wonder, what defines home? I guess for me it's something different every time I am trying to get a hold of that term. Most of the times it's a feeling though I guess, linked to different places and different people, depending on the current situation I am in whenever I think about it.

What are your experiences concerning this? Or is it something you never bother about or that is cut clear for you? Or does something totally different occupie your mind?

Greetings,
schneeland

+Quote Post
Simonetta
Beitrag 26.Oct.2006 - 10:22
Beitrag #108

Gut durch

QUOTE (regenbogen @ 25.Oct.2006 - 19:57)

... which I've still got on my bookshelf to look forward to! :bounce:

If it's anywhere near as good as "Slammerkin" and, in particular, "Life Mask", it'll be wonderful...

Oh I envy you...

In my opinion, Stir-fry is sooo much better than anything else Emma D. has ever written. (But I must admit I never finished Slammerkin because, please don't be upset about this, but.... :roetel: historical novels totally bore me... :roetel: )

QUOTE (Pippilotta@25.Oct.2006 - 19:25)
So... Simonetta... what's Stir-Fry about? Maybe you can give an itsy-bitsy summary? Would be nice

Well, rainbow was so kind as to post the link, so that will provide you with basic info about the plot. What could I add? It's a book you really want to snuggle into, it's sooo cozy inside... :) Right at the beginning when Maria (the protagonist) meets Ruth - one of her future flatmates - for the first time, Ruth's smile is described as "warm as toast" which pretty much captures the atmosphere and the warmth which radiates from the book. When I read it for the first time, I was actually living in Ireland, but my room situation wasn't so nice. :blink:. Reading "Stir-fry" was like sneaking up a winding-stair into this comfy flat of Ruth and Jael's and living there, too- sort of like a stowaway. :D

QUOTE (Pippilotta@25.Oct.2006 - 19:25)
And the book by M. Haddon... isn't that the one who is autistic and writes about the neighborhood dog?? (I think I had a look at it a couple of weeks ago and found it kind of interesting)

That's the one!

QUOTE (schneeland@25.Oct.2006 - 22:26)
"Extremly loud and incredible close" has been on the list for a while. So I'll keep that in mind too. How did you like his writing, Simonetta?

I LOVE his writing!! There used to be a thread on him on the literature board started by Pippilotta, but I can't find it anymore... Where has it disappeared to? Admins, please :help: !

In the meantime, maybe you want to have a look at this interview to get to know him a bit more?

Enjoy!

Der Beitrag wurde von Simonetta bearbeitet: 26.Oct.2006 - 10:24

+Quote Post
-Agnetha-
Beitrag 26.Oct.2006 - 10:39
Beitrag #109

ungerader Parallel-Freigeist

Userin seit: 25.08.2004
Userinnen-Nr.: 83

@schneeland:

That's an interessting question. I guess, home is for me... a cosy feeling, a warm bed, the feeling of security.
A place where I can rest and maybe hide from the world outside.

+Quote Post
regenbogen
Beitrag 26.Oct.2006 - 14:03
Beitrag #110

a.D.

QUOTE (Simonetta @ 26.Oct.2006 - 11:22)
QUOTE (schneeland@25.Oct.2006 - 22:26)

I LOVE his writing!! There used to be a thread on him on the literature board started by Pippilotta, but I can't find it anymore... Where has it disappeared to? Admins, please :help: !

+Quote Post
Pippilotta
Beitrag 26.Oct.2006 - 18:16
Beitrag #111

*kunterbunt*

Userin seit: 10.09.2004
Userinnen-Nr.: 304

@Simonetta: thanks for writing a bit more about the book and
@regenbogen: thanks for the link.

I did have some problems finding the book at first (at least at amazon.de) but with that link I was already able to read a bit about it. Sounds quite interesting and it IS tempting. Especially now that winter will be here (well... some day I think; though not today ;) )
I already put it on my list... :roetel:

@schneeland: good question... what is home... :gruebel:
Sometimes I am in a mood to define this (for me) as well. But actually I have never really gotten a complete answer and sometimes I am still on the look for "home".
First of all I'd say it is a "place" where I feel sheltered and were I feel cozy. Where I can get to rest and where I am accepted without "being" some image of somebody else...
It needn't really be a special place but I think it is a feeling I have deep inside...
In total I think it is hard to describe but I am curious what others might think about this as well :)

+Quote Post
Simonetta
Beitrag 27.Oct.2006 - 08:42
Beitrag #112

Gut durch

QUOTE (regenbogen @ 26.Oct.2006 - 15:03)

here you go :)

Thank you so much! Where did you find it? I looked in the living room, but couldn't find it... :unsure:

+Quote Post
Simonetta
Beitrag 27.Oct.2006 - 08:51
Beitrag #113

Gut durch

Home is

my personal centre of the universe
the one place from which I can start out to discover new places because I always know where to come back to
the place from which starting out is a possibility, but not a necessity
It is entirely tied up with people (and cats :-) - family and friends, because if I took those people and put them down in, say, Toronto, then my home would probably shift to there

On the other hand, it is not entirely independent from "place" as such, because I am sure there are places where I could never feel truly at home, even with all my loved ones around me.

+Quote Post
noname45
Beitrag 27.Oct.2006 - 10:58
Beitrag #114

Wow, now we have a lot of recommendations. That's good, because I have already been asked twice for a X-mas wish-list! :D

I really LOVE books, but sometimes I really have problems buying books by authors I don't know. Because I can't afford to go book-shopping all too often I don't want to by something bad. So usually I stick with authors I know and like.
But of course, that way, I don't get all too many new experiences. So I am always happy to have someone recommend books too me.
(Although everybody has a different taste. Funny thing: I keep recommending books to my best friend (who shares a similar taste!), but she says she doesn't read books that are written either in the I-perspective or in the present tense. No matter how good I say they are! :) )

Speaking of Nick Hornby:

I have read all his books... has anybody read "A long way down?"
I really enjoyed that one.

@ schneeland
It was very intersting, although quite difficult to understand everything. But I hope it's gonna get better with time.
Actually I stu B) dy psychology, but one of my sjavascript:emoticon(':)')
smilieubjects is philosophy. My homework is to read ten pages in "Kritik der reinen Vernunft" and a friend of mine said: "What are you complaining about, it's just ten pages!" :)

+Quote Post
regenbogen
Beitrag 27.Oct.2006 - 13:17
Beitrag #115

a.D.

QUOTE (Simonetta @ 27.Oct.2006 - 09:42)
QUOTE (regenbogen @ 26.Oct.2006 - 15:03)

here you go :)

Thank you so much! Where did you find it? I looked in the living room, but couldn't find it... :unsure:

It's actually right here in the kitchen. :) I think I searched for posts containing "extremely loud", taking care to change the date range to "all", and there it was. ;)

Has anyone read the S.J. Rozan mystery series featuring NY PIs Lydia Ching and Bill Smith? I think the first book in the series is "China Trade". It's the best mystery series I've discovered in a long while! (No lesbian content though...)

+Quote Post
schneeland
Beitrag 27.Oct.2006 - 13:46
Beitrag #116

Gut durch

Hey everyone!

Thanks for all the ideas on the term "home" in addition to all the great book recommendations. Foer will be studied more intensely and then put on the "christmas wish list" I guess ;)
Even tough "stir fry" will probably be the first book I am going to read next, because "snuggly feelings" are just what I need right now. :)

Right now home is just a place to me where I have tons of allergies :wacko:
Well but in a broder way I guess my definiton would be pretty close to what Agnetha and Simonetta had posted too. It's about beeing comfortable and at ease I guess and about people of course.
Somehow I realised that for me thinking about questions like "what is home" and stuff like that is often linked to a feeling of lonelines, too. When I am doing fine, I don't think about stuff like that too much, but when I feel a bit lonesome or the like, I start wondering about such things like home I guess.

Would you say, that you have different homes or different feelings of home? I mean, I do feel at home where I grew up, but I also say "I am going home" when I go back to the place where I live at right now. Even though for me that is just a temporarly place to live, it feels like home. But on the other hand it also does not quite feel like home in a sense, that I know it won't be for much longer. Mh, well I guess that was confusing. To me it was anyway. Sorry, 'bout that, but maybe someone can at least partially relate to what I've said or make some sense of it :unsure:

@Pumuckl: Your major is psychology??? That's funny, mine is too :P And I know there are a couple more of them around here B) But we don't have great classes like philosphy or any such thing offered here as part of the curriculum. Well but I shouldn't complain, at least got two interesting classes this year and I am working on my final thesis so that's ok. Good luck with your reading, ten pages Kant can be tough I guess (I have the whole edition somewhere hiding away in my closet.... :ph34r: ).

+Quote Post
noname45
Beitrag 27.Oct.2006 - 19:32
Beitrag #117

Just yesterday I had a little chat with a friend of how we define home.

For me 70% of my home is the people I share it with. The rest is the way my flat looks and the fact that I can do there (nearly) everything I want.

But I have different homes, I can say that.

My first home is this place, my flat.

My second home is my parent's house, where I grew up.

My third home is the house (and the parents :-)) of my ex-girlfriend, where I lived for half a year in 2002 when my own parents practically threw me out of the house. (Guess why? -_- ).

I once read a nice quot, but I forgot who said it. I think it goes something like "Home is not the place where your were born, but where you love and are being loved". I think I can totally secon that.

@schneeland:
Oh we are collegues, then! (Or at least we are going to be, hopefully not all too far i the future). Well, I am reading myself throuh a laaaaaarge amount of studies, too at the moment for my thesis. Unforunately I have not reached the point where it all makes sense and were you have a broader picture of everything. But it's a lot of fun, anyway.

+Quote Post
Simonetta
Beitrag 28.Oct.2006 - 10:11
Beitrag #118

Gut durch

QUOTE (schneeland@27.Oct.2006 - 14:46)
Somehow I realised that for me thinking about questions like "what is home" and stuff like that is often linked to a feeling of lonelines, too. When I am doing fine, I don't think about stuff like that too much, but when I feel a bit lonesome or the like, I start wondering about such things like home I guess.

So does that imply that you are feeling kind of lonely just now? :troest:

QUOTE (schneeland@27.Oct.2006 - 14:46)
Would you say, that you have different homes or different feelings of home? I mean, I do feel at home where I grew up, but I also say "I am going home" when I go back to the place where I live at right now. Even though for me that is just a temporarly place to live, it feels like home. But on the other hand it also does not quite feel like home in a sense, that I know it won't be for much longer. Mh, well I guess that was confusing. To me it was anyway. Sorry, 'bout that, but maybe someone can at least partially relate to what I've said or make some sense of it :unsure:

It's entirely understandable (and not confusing, at least not to me :)). I used to live in a different city and struggled a lot with this question of "where is home". And I agree with you that there doesn't necessarily have to be one place which you define as home, but there can be several.

Most people refer to the place where they originally come from as "home" while they set up their own homes somewhere else.

Der Beitrag wurde von Simonetta bearbeitet: 28.Oct.2006 - 10:13

+Quote Post
dandelion
Beitrag 24.Nov.2006 - 19:31
Beitrag #119

don't care

Gruppe: Admin
Userin seit: 21.01.2005
Userinnen-Nr.: 1.108

just something passing through completely off-topic...
found some old Ellen DeGeneres - Video on YouTube... just lovely :)
Didn't know where else to share that, if I used the wrong subsection, please move me to where I should have postet that one... :roetel:

+Quote Post
schneeland
Beitrag 25.Nov.2006 - 01:26
Beitrag #120

Gut durch

Hey dandelion,
I just watched the YouTube file, and it was hilarious!! :lol:
Thanks for sharing :blumen2:

+Quote Post

39 Seiten V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
7 Besucherinnen lesen dieses Thema (Gäste: 7 | Anonyme Userinnen: 0)
0 Userinnen:

Vereinfachte Darstellung Aktuelles Datum: 15.05.2024 - 01:24