lesbenforen.de

Willkommen, Gast ( Anmelden | Registrierung )

> Bitte beachten

Du kannst deinen Beitrag nach dem Posten 90 Minuten lang editieren, danach nicht mehr. Lies dir also vor dem Posten sorgfältig durch, was du geschrieben hast. Dazu kannst du die "Vorschau" nutzen.

Wenn dir nach Ablauf der Editierzeit noch gravierende inhaltliche Fehler auffallen, schreib entweder einen neuen Beitrag mit Hinweis auf den alten oder wende dich an die Strösen.

Diese Webseite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Webseite erklärst du dich mit der Verwendung von Cookies einverstanden.

39 Seiten V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What about English?
Bilana
Beitrag 31.Oct.2005 - 18:15
Beitrag #61

Capparis spinosa

Gruppe: Members
Userin seit: 25.08.2004
Userinnen-Nr.: 97

Well I'm a virgin if comes to audio books, but that will change soon. A fellow from my sports group has promised to uhm...give me security copies of the play Tea at Five and a Trek novel (funny how you learn new things about people whom do you know for long time), both read by Kate Mulgrew. So I’ll give it try rather because I have a nag on her voice and what she can do with it than because of the audio book thing itself.
But I think I’m too much visual for audio books. My imagination works better with the old fashioned printed books. (I can’t even stand if people try to read newspaper articles to me.)

Lately I’ve read some Southasian books and plays in English. That’s interesting me a lot, because I just love that cultural region and I’m always entertained to no ends by fine Hinglish. And Southasian authors never fail in that, no matter how much they try to write British English. :teeth:

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pippilotta
Beitrag 01.Nov.2005 - 22:10
Beitrag #62

*kunterbunt*

Userin seit: 10.09.2004
Userinnen-Nr.: 304

Good evening Ladies

Well, @Lempicka: pssttt!! Don’t tell but I only have ONE in English, too! :rolleyes: The other audio books that I have are also in German :roetel:
But nevermind – I like to listen to them while driving in my car (mostly); sometimes I take them into the house but quite seldom. I like to listen to almost everything that has a pleasant (in my ears -_- ) voice. I have found out that I can really appreciate an audio book with a nice-sounding narrator’s voice. Thus e.g. I liked Ken Folletts “Der dritte Zwilling”.
The other audio books that I have are quite a mixture of things. I also like to listen to stories from Mary Higgins Clark or Charlotte Link. A friend borrowed me her Kay Scarpetta (Patricia Cornwell) ones. But I have found out that it is difficult for me to be ‘hooked up’ on a story if the voice is not pleasant for my ears; I tend to drift away with my thoughts then. :roetel:

As for English books, I also like to read quite a variety of books. I like thrillers as well as romantic stuff. The last English book that I read was (I think) “Love in the Balance”, which was, lets say, easy to read and easy to guess what would happen next. Not really a “big deal” but sometimes I also like “easy” stuff a lot because it is quite relaxing for me :ph34r:

When German books with lesbian contents were not so easy to get (in the far-away-days, when internet was not yet so common :D) I liked to buy English books with ‘lesbian’ stories and I liked to read them (e.g. ‘Curious Vine’ and some others by Katherine V. Forrest, or some books like ‘Early Embraces’, ‘Beginnings’ etc.)

@Bilana: so, let’s know when you tried out the ‘audiobook thing’ I am interested in getting to know how you liked it!
What kind of books were the ones you read last that had this funny Hinglish in them? Can you also notice that in the written text?

+Quote Post
Bilana
Beitrag 03.Nov.2005 - 17:29
Beitrag #63

Capparis spinosa

@Bilana: so, let’s know when you tried out the ‘audiobook thing’  I am interested in getting to know how you liked it!

I will, but first I need the CD’s….

What kind of books were the ones you read last that had this funny Hinglish in them? Can you also notice that in the written text?

Oh, it was The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, Two books by Amitav Gosh (ok, I’m not entirely through with them) and various plays by Abhi Subedi. Oh and some collected speeches of certain politicians.
I mean Hinglish isn’t just a matter of pronunciation and some grammar and word errors that occur like running gags (which are funny for sure). It goes back and forth between sanskrit-based languages (sure most notable Hindi) and English. Things get mixed up.
But what’s really funny is, when typical Hindi things are said in English. In the original language it sound perfectly normal, but in English it sound weird and makes me laugh. Thing are expressed less abstract, more practical, bloomy and sensual.
It’s sentences like “The white and the black ox (cow and buffalo) are drinking water, but the red ox (tractor) is drinking fuel that’s why we need to take credits.” Or “by the year 2010 I might have enough rice, but will I have enough wood to cook it?” It just hits the mark about agricultural change.
It can lighten up a severe situation and make you smile no matter what. It’s also refreshing to speak this way yourself. I can indulge totally in it. These people are always such wisecrackers, yet jokers. All this juggling, the mistakes are things to be entertained not like in our cultural hemisphere to be embarrassed or unnerved.
As soon as I start speaking myself this way I get a smile on my face and make funny or charming remarks that I wouldn't make otherwise. It just comes naturally.

As for other English books, I’ve read a lot non-fictional stuff, which is just not available in German.

Well, have a nice day, ladies.

Der Beitrag wurde von Bilana bearbeitet: 03.Nov.2005 - 17:32

+Quote Post
Pippilotta
Beitrag 13.Nov.2005 - 17:34
Beitrag #64

*kunterbunt*

Userin seit: 10.09.2004
Userinnen-Nr.: 304

QUOTE (Bilana @ 03.Nov.2005 - 17:29)
Oh, it was The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, Two books by Amitav Gosh (ok, I’m not entirely through with them) and various plays by Abhi Subedi.

As for other English books, I’ve read a lot non-fictional stuff, which is just not available in German.

@Bilana - I was actually just wondering: how comes you read books like the ones you mentioned? I think it is really impressing. Those are authors I have not heard about before and you read them in English. Impresses me a lot. So far, as I said, I have just read some "light" books, which were just whodunnits or thrillers or romantic novels. But the ones you mentioned sound to be a bit more, hm..., complicated or on a higher-level...

Did you alreday get the CD's by the way? :)

+Quote Post
Bilana
Beitrag 14.Nov.2005 - 18:54
Beitrag #65

Capparis spinosa

Oh well I'm no patient novel reader. So a novel really must mean something to me, that I'm going to read it. I like more short stories or non-fictional stuff. Still the most intriguing stories are told by life itself.
But I just love South Asia, so I read such novels now and then. Amitav Gosh’s writing is epic, much history is in there, but really easy to read, quite enchanting. At least Gosh is well-known in the western world I think. Roy is different. I found her difficult to read, because her characters where of Malayalam origin. I have no feelings about Malayalam names. They don’t tell me gender or age, like a European or Hindi names would do. So it was difficult to keep track with her many characters. Also she has a real weird approach to language. Rewriting would be as ridicules to her as re-breathing. And the good thing about not knowing the rules of writing is, you don’t bother to break the rules. After reading her book I’m sure it is not exaggerated at all. And then she has a typical Indian way of story telling. However she managed to win some serious prizes with the novel. It reflected life of women in rural India and the language might be one part of it. Oh yeah and she has written down the story of a very famous Indian feminist, called the Bandit Queen. I’ll read it after I have recovered from her first book.
As for Abi Subedi, he is a Nepalese play writer. He is like Shakespeare in England, except Subedi is still very much alive. Everyone knows him, but outside the country he is not know at all.
So if you want to get the real hindi-feeling without being able to read Hindi, English is the first choice.

However, I don’t distinguish between easy and not easy reads, but between interesting ready and not interesting reads. And sometimes the most profane writings are interesting to me (like the last ST Voyager short story collection) and sometimes it is something else. The main point is an intriguing story, then I’m even willing to wrestle through the most absurd writing styles, but if the story is boring, smooth writing won’t help to make me read it through.

Oh and no, I haven’t the CDs yet. I would have to push an elderly lady, which I would never dare. ;)
I already suspect I'll love these ones for the voice, but will be never become a fan of audio books, but I'll let you know, when I got the chance to listen to them.

Greetings.

+Quote Post
Oncemore
Beitrag 12.Dec.2005 - 20:37
Beitrag #66

Salzstreuerin

Userin seit: 26.10.2004
Userinnen-Nr.: 660

Hello everyone,

oh, I see its's time for me to join the fun ;-).

I've always loved watching TNG and Voyager (because of the lovely ladies of course ;-)) and I at that time I started trying to get the episodes in English. So in a way learning English was connected to my time as a trekkie. My first English novel was "Imzadi" which I read in grade 10.
For me this is just such a lovely playground and I'm so happy to have found some fellow fans.
It used to be such a nice time when we went to movie fairs, exchanged tapes and met with many people to watch the latest episodes of ST or the X-Files.
Are you also a bit nostalgic about this? For me it was a special time when people came together to watch series while nowadays you can download it so easily and watch it on your own.

I also love going to the movies and whenever it is possible I watch them in English.
During the last years I also fell in love with French cinema. I've also seen 8 women, Dancer in the Dark and so on and I can also recommend the latest Isabelle Huppert film where she's starring opposite Catherine Frot. It has this lovely scene where they watch this old Catherine Deneuve musical where they play twins and sing the song together. What a nice reference.

For those who live near Essen: There`ll be 8 Women on stage soon!

I hope we can go on with this.

Love,

Oncemore

+Quote Post
Bilana
Beitrag 12.Dec.2005 - 21:53
Beitrag #67

Capparis spinosa

Welcome, welcome, you're sure a woman after my own heart! :teeth:

The first English novel I’ve ever read was also a TNG novel (Dark Mirror). That’s quite long ago. I also must have been in grade 10 or. Funny. At that time, without amazon, it was quite a challenge to get such an novel in English..

For me this is just such a lovely playground and I'm so happy to have found some fellow fans.

I agree with the playground, it is.
Unfortunately I think, I’m the only one here around, who enjoys this Trek stuff. Well, now we’re two, better then being alone.

It used to be such a nice time when we went to movie fairs, exchanged tapes and met with many people to watch the latest episodes of ST

Actually I still do that. I have rediscovered Voyager and now that the DVD’s are released….
I remember at the height of the Trek-Hype we had some ST movie marathons at out local cinema. I also was in Nemesis at premier night and there were all these really crazy and funny people with Vulcan ears, Klingon foreheads, Uniforms and stuff. The audience was great, made it more fun to watch the movie, because they laughed and applauded much.

Are you also a bit nostalgic about this? For me it was a special time when people came together to watch series while nowadays you can download it so easily and watch it on your own.

Now that you say it…
I friend of mine somewhat forced me to watch Endgame. Normally we watched TNG, but he always wanted to convert me into a Voyager fan. It was only then that I realized Voyager is a cool show. The best Trek franchise so far, if you ask me. So, said friend succeeded.

And yes, 8 women is also playing in Berlin for quite a while now, 2-3 years or so? But the original stage version is not as funny and over the top as the movie is.
But Dancer in the Dark is no French movie, nevertheless it is a great movie, one of the best, I think.

So have you seen Ozon’s Swimming Pool?

Der Beitrag wurde von Bilana bearbeitet: 12.Dec.2005 - 21:57

+Quote Post
Masi
Beitrag 27.Jan.2006 - 21:37
Beitrag #68

community managsie

Gruppe: Admin
Userin seit: 24.08.2004
Userinnen-Nr.: 6

A little off topic, but I have just one question:

Have you ever heard of "GUPPYS" ?
It seems to be a not-so-nice nickname or shortcut for a lesbian or other group.

edit: GUPPY doesn't mean the little coloured fishes in this case :D

Der Beitrag wurde von Masi bearbeitet: 27.Jan.2006 - 22:02

+Quote Post
noname45
Beitrag 27.Jan.2006 - 21:49
Beitrag #69

Musegeküsste Knuddelkoboldin

Userin seit: 01.03.2005
Userinnen-Nr.: 1.290

I've never heard of that...

When I read it I immediately thought of the fish... maybe it means

Genius
Unbelievable
Proud
Pretty
Young Lady

But seriously: Do you know where it comes from?

+Quote Post
noname45
Beitrag 27.Jan.2006 - 21:54
Beitrag #70

Oh I got it (Thanx to Google):

It's nothing bad: It's like Yuppie just GAY urban professional instead of YOUNG urban professional.

:patsch:

+Quote Post
Masi
Beitrag 27.Jan.2006 - 21:58
Beitrag #71

community managsie

I've read it in a lesbian book, always written in big types (example: you're a GUPPY).
I think it's a dirty word, so your suggestions doesn't fit. :(

edit: to late *g*
Yes, this could be the meaning, thank you :)

Der Beitrag wurde von Masi bearbeitet: 27.Jan.2006 - 22:01

+Quote Post
noname45
Beitrag 27.Jan.2006 - 21:59
Beitrag #72

hm that's what google says...

Edit: also too late ;)

Der Beitrag wurde von Pumuckl bearbeitet: 27.Jan.2006 - 22:05

+Quote Post
Masi
Beitrag 27.Jan.2006 - 22:02
Beitrag #73

community managsie

look at my edit ;)

+Quote Post
Muslpu
Beitrag 13.Jun.2006 - 11:16
Beitrag #74

Satansbraten

Userinnen-Nr.: 92

Hellooo..
it seems as if this poor thread died a few times..

Even if it might take a few months for somebody to answer, I'm willing to try reanimating this thread again... But what could be interesting enough to keep it alive afterwards? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/gruebel.gif)
Well, I will think about it and after I found something, I will let you know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Liane
Beitrag 13.Jun.2006 - 11:25
Beitrag #75

Heiligenanwärterin

Userin seit: 06.09.2004
Userinnen-Nr.: 271

Let's talk about S** :dance:

:ph34r: No Stroeses around? (IMG:http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/haushalt/e035.gif)

If we don't want to let it die, we can perhaps have an English Guten-Morgen-
Küche - which means using the language a lot without worrying about clever themes...

What do you think about that?

Der Beitrag wurde von Liane bearbeitet: 13.Jun.2006 - 11:27

+Quote Post
Muslpu
Beitrag 13.Jun.2006 - 11:32
Beitrag #76

Satansbraten

Since I'm not good with clever themes, I would say, it's a nice idea and worth trying :zustimm: ;)

But could you maybe first explain what you meant here:

Let's talk about S** :dance:

Because I do not have a clue what you were actually talking about... :engel: :D

edit:changed a smiley

Der Beitrag wurde von Muslpu bearbeitet: 13.Jun.2006 - 11:34

+Quote Post
Liane
Beitrag 13.Jun.2006 - 11:55
Beitrag #77

Heiligenanwärterin

Muslpu, to make it more easy for you :D
Lokk at the smiley - what is it doing?

edit: why do I feel I have to write "more easy" - shouldn't it be "easier"? :gruebel:

Der Beitrag wurde von Liane bearbeitet: 13.Jun.2006 - 11:56

+Quote Post
Muslpu
Beitrag 13.Jun.2006 - 12:33
Beitrag #78

Satansbraten

The smiley? It is.. dancing? But that is not spelled with an "S" :P whatever..

p.s.: it should be "easier" ;)

+Quote Post
Liane
Beitrag 13.Jun.2006 - 21:12
Beitrag #79

Heiligenanwärterin

The (singing!!!) smiley tells you that "Let's talk about XXX" (one of the letters is right - which one :gruebel: :was: :gruebel: :D ) is a song...

Der Beitrag wurde von Liane bearbeitet: 13.Jun.2006 - 21:12

+Quote Post
regenbogen
Beitrag 13.Jun.2006 - 21:15
Beitrag #80

a.D.

Userinnen-Nr.: 5

QUOTE (Liane @ 13.Jun.2006 - 22:12)
The (singing!!!) smiley

@Liane - I know you're supposed to sing with your entire body not just the vocal chords... but with your feet? :unsure:

+Quote Post

39 Seiten V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 Besucherinnen lesen dieses Thema (Gäste: 4 | Anonyme Userinnen: 0)
0 Userinnen:

Vereinfachte Darstellung Aktuelles Datum: 13.05.2024 - 15:51